Then there was Amy

"I don't ever want to do anything mediocre. I hear the music in the charts and I don't mean to be rude, but those people have no soul. Learning from music is like eating a meal - you have to pace yourself. You can't take everything from it all at once. I want to be different, definitely. I'm not a one trick pony. I'm at least a five-trick pony."
                      - Amy Winehouse, 9/14/83 - 7/23/11


Project: Live

'Valerie' - Live Acoustic



Ah, that raspy, soulful alto voice. I shake my head along with her 'eclectic mix of musical genre' as it echoes across the room. Who can resist? I can't. She brought out the jazz lover out of me with her "Back to Black" rendition, and this video be my most favorite Amy Winehouse cover of 'em all. I always love 'em live!

I used to play Amy Winehouse's songs back in my Ilocos Office 'round 2007-2009, and only Kat, who was also my board mate, joined me in admiring this British singer-songwriter's unique genre. There is something about her singing, her majestic euphony, her powerful voice, and her "real" songs that give me chills and goosebumps inevitably.

It sucks that this talented singer lost her battle. As a friend commented on facebook, "They tried to make her go to rehab but she said no, no, no." Her talent wasn't wasted though. She has done enough songs, classic ones, which prove that she ain't one of the many few fake one-trick ponies in the world of mediocre music charts. 

Comments