The Amateur's Kitchen - Chicken Alfredo

Project: Eat, Live


   I might be suffering from the Quarter-life crisis now. Browsing through the seven symptoms of it at madamenoire.com, I got a whopping 6 out of 7! This could be alarming, and the more I think of it, the more I get confused.

   I am confused as hell.

   My dream of becoming a Software Developer has long gone. I pass on this dream to my younger sister instead who has had the guts to take the course I wanted despite her receiving violent reactions from most people. I bet she will be the most successful among the three of us. I will be the happiest for her.

   What I do daydream often lately is wearing a toque above my little head. I could be the most amateur of the amateur cooks and could not practice it as often as I want, but starting on a variety of simple pasta dishes can be a pretty good start, right?

   I did sign up on a short course at Coursera.org, The Science of Gastronomy, and am currently starting Week 2 of my 6-week course outline. Hoping I can finish to the brink.

   Meanwhile, I prepared for myself a little pasta lunch while having the "alone" time. It's so good (and yes, normal) to be alone sometimes and contemplate on things.


Chicken Alfredo

spaghetti
1/4 kg skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
salt and pepper
30 g butter
60 g cream cheese 
3 cloves grated garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 small zucchini, julienned
1 small red bell pepper, chopped 
a dash of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice


Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, set aside.


Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken strips. Pan fry til lightly browned. Set aside.

Melt butter and cream cheese over low fire. Whisk slowly until smooth. Add freshly grated garlic or garlic powder. Gradually add milk and water and simmer at least 3 minutes, stirring constantly til smooth and thick.

Add cooked chicken strips, zucchini and red bell peppers and simmer til vegetables are cooked. Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.

Serve over cooked spaghetti.

Comments