The Amateur's Kitchen - Berries Salad


Project: Eat


    Pappy and I traverse the road to La Trinidad with rolled down car windows last Saturday. Ah, that fresh, crisp wind is reminiscent of my trip to the Mt. Province and makes me wish for a Sagada adventure one time. As the trip was successful after meeting a potential client there, we decided to drop by La Trinidad's Strawberry farm and take with us some of these red jewels home.



   Farms aren't new to me as this is a pretty normal sight at Pappy's hometown in Ilocos Sur, but having to scour farm plots for my most favorite berries is something I want to experience (sans the heat)! Irresistible heads of green and purple Romaine lettuce lined up alongside these rubies, making me think of another recipe to try again.

   In this salad, I wanted the reds of these strawberries to stand out. I did a little trick to achieve the look. :)

Berries Salad

strawberries, hulled and sliced
kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
caster sugar (or other sugar varieties will do)
Romaine lettuce head, cut into bite-sized pieces 
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
salt n' pepper

   In a bowl, sprinkle caster sugar over strawberries. Set aside. Do the same for the kiwi fruit. Let stand for less than an hour or until sugar dissolves. Observe that this brightens the strawberries' and kiwi's color. Reserve juice for the dressing.

   For the dressing, combine strawberries' and kiwi's juice in a little jar. Add in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and shake well.

   In a salad bowl, combine lettuce, strawberries and kiwi and toss in dressing. Serve.

Comments