Reflection 2014: Birthday Diaries

"Just because you’re grown up and then some doesn't mean settling into the doldrums of predictability.
Surprise people.
Surprise yourself."

Project: Eat, Pray, Live

   May 16.

   The steel cables hanged high from the ground at 250 feet with both ends extending 400 meters atop the hills of Pugo, La Union. My feet were shaking and heart beating loud and fast as I stood at the edge and peeked down from the platform. I have braved a lot of zip linings before but this, so far, was my longest and highest.

   I hesitantly lied prone and tightly held on a steel bar as the guide attached all of my harnesses. He kicked the bar away as I raised my hands aloft. Starting off with a tiny scream, closed eyes and very deep breaths, he pushed me to the edge, then let go!

   The rush of wind had me open my eyes to reveal a magnificent sight most luckily seen by birds. There I was soaring above the resort's views and verdant fields, the bright blues of the pools and the greens so fresh they calmed my fast-beating heart. For thirty scary but breathtaking seconds I was quietly feeling that wind while literally flying. I was flying, and that felt so damn good! 



   May 17.

   I have been doing walks for quite some time now in the vacant lots of Poro Point ranging from two to four kilometers every early log-out days. While burning calories is a main reason for many who jog there too, my endurance and stamina are my main concerns as I tire so easily. Comes along with age, must I say.

   I woke up early on the day of my birthday and thought walking to the Pink Sisters Convent (Convent of the Most Blessed Sacrament) would be a good idea to start the day. Starting off from the corner of Bokawkan and Naguillian Roads, I grabbed my trusty pair of Skechers and walked my way with slow paces two and a half kilometers to Brent Road on a rather fine morning.


   What's not to enjoy walking along Baguio's streets? While the steep and curvy roads made it difficult for me to breathe and keep my pacing up, the city's very conducive cool climate and pathways colored with vibrant flowers made it easier.

   I reached the convent after the thirty-minute walk. As I was making my birthday prayers, in came the nuns dressed in their famous pink holy habits for their mid morning prayer. They started hymning psalms in falsettos, their voices so spiritually angelic they always send you in a meditating state. I stayed to listen 'til they finished, then walked another two and a half kilometers to Palma Street to meet the sister.

   I spent the birthday eating brunch with the Baguio-based sisters. This is what I always make sure, that I spend my special day with the people dearest to my heart.


   May 18

   I chanced upon some organic herbs and greens outside Cafe by the Ruins from yesterday's brunch. They were so cheap, a lot cheaper than the ones sold in the lowlands, that I was tempted to buy some! 


   With these, I made three creations: Basil and Cashew Pesto, Vigan Longganisa Lettuce Wraps, and Bacon and Lettuce Soup (Recipes to follow).



   Through the years I have always been trying a lot of new things. With the recent years, travelling, extreme activities, workouts and cooking have been added to my life's portfolio. Though some would turn out not quite as good, just the thought that I tried these things is exhilarating and satisfying. I have long quitted the doldrums; I choose not to stay there. I am twenty nine, and I still have a lot of years ahead of me to surprise myself and experience things I have not done yet.

   What's next for me? I neither have an inch of idea. Surprise me.

Comments